My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Ketogenic Crackers, Vegan Edition

ב"ה

So, as you may recall, I started on a ketogenic diet. This is a high fat, low carb, sort of medium protein diet. I've been experimenting -- being vegan on this diet is a challenge, but, then again, life as a vegan is a challenge. 

I joined a FB list of other people doing the Ketogenic Mamba, trying to balance what they need to do with making sure they are in ketosis (I check my urine every morning like I did many years ago when I was on Atkins to see if I'm in Ketosis).

So someone asked about something crunchy and someone put up a recipe for keto crackers. It included eggs and cheese, so I decided to try a vegan version. This is what I came up with:

1 cup almond flour
1/8 cup chopped walnuts (almost as fine as the flour)
1/4 teaspoon my spice mix (choose your favorite)
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon lion's mane mushroom powder
1/8 teaspoon pink (Himalayan) salt
1/8 smoked paprika
1/8 cup ground chia seeds (instead of eggs)
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast (cheesy)
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (or other non-dairy) "milk"

I mixed together all the dry ingredients and then blended in the coconut milk. It made a nice dough and I rolled it out with a rolling pin between two pieces of parchment paper and cut it into rectangle and put up to bake for 15 minutes.

They came out delicious.....

No comments: