My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

My Version of a Vegan Ketogenic Breakfast

ב"ה

Back when I was in my teens and 20s, I was quite fat. I tried just about every diet on the market and one of the diets I tried was the Atkins diet. But, then again, this was before I became a vegetarian. It wasn't that difficult to keep on the Atkins diet as an omnivore. I lost a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks, but when the pounds stopped coming off, I lost interest in marinaded steaks and crispy chicken skin. And, quickly, the weight came back.

Fast forward X years. I've been a vegetarian now for 40 years, 28 of them as a vegan. And, while I did lose quite a bit of weight since then (about 80 or so) I still have about 30 or 40 or so pounds I'd like to drop (and I'd like my waist measurement to get below 35") so I still try to figure out how to improve my diet, how to lose weight.

Right now, I'm on a diet similar to Atkins in that it is low in carbohydrates. But the Ketogenic Diet is high in fat.

So, I was watching the Dr. Oz Show and they were discussing the Ketogenic diet and one of the women told of her breakfast. Since I started eating my version of this "Granola", I've, Thank G-d, started doing better.

I am currently eating Walnuts, Almonds and Macadamia nuts. So I buy containers and bags of Organic nuts in these three varieties, take each container and process them in the food processor to get chopped nuts. I take 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup each of chopped almonds and macadamia, 2 Tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut, 1 Tablespoon chia seeds, 1/4 teaspoon powdered stevia, and sometimes I add one or more of these: 1/4-1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, grated zest of 1/2 lemon, 1/4 teaspoon powdered vanilla. I mix this all together and add enough of either coconut "milk" or a vegan (the one I have now is almond based) liquid yogurt. I mix it all together and let it sit a bit before eating.

I also discovered that Bengal Spice (Celestial Seasonings) with a bit of stevia (1/8 teaspoon) and a Tablespoon or so of vegan "half and half" makes a great breakfast drink (and wind down at the end of the day drink).

BTW, I went to the Stop and Shop tonight after my last tutoring student. I bought out the last two containers of organic walnuts. I got to talking to the woman who was in front of me on line and I told her why I bought the walnuts (I needed them for breakfast). I also wrote down the name of my blog so she could "Google" it -- so I hope she finds this blog....

Added 1 7 2018: I started making a hot version of this -- put all the ingredients into a small-medium pot with a good cover -- cover the pot and put it on the lowest flame possible for about 10 or so minutes then let it sit another 10 or so minutes. Add the chia AFTER you cook the rest.

No comments: