My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Fettuccine Alfredo Healthy Vegan Redux

ב"ה

this lens' photoRecipe Redux a la Vegan


I was an inveterate meat eater when I was young. When I was in high school, I often came home late and would make supper by tossing a bottom quarter of chicken in the over and bake a potato. Not exactly healthy (particularly since I ate a lot of candy and other junk during the day), was it?


Enter Recipe Redux

When I decided that it was time to start eating healthier vegetarian fare (in my ovo-lacto days), I started off with redoing the meat and chicken recipes I had grown up on. I did several different versions of my Mom's Shepherd's Pie, one with mashed potatoes on the bottom, then peas and carrots (I used to use frozen peas and I'd dice some carrots), then fake meat, then noodles on top (whole grain way back then -- I can't eat wheat anymore).

Fast Forward a number of years, I had a cookbook from vegan Chef [then] Brother Ron Pickarski (see below). He had a recipe for a stroganoff wherein the "sour cream" was made from cauliflower.

Fast forward to a few months ago. I decided I'd like to add more cauliflower to my diet. I always liove cauliflower and our local Shop-Rite started expanding their organic produce section and cauliflower is one of the items they usually have in the organic section.

I started creating cauliflower sauces (I have a couple versions up on line here on squidoo and on my vegan recipe blog).

Vegan "Fettucine Alfredo"

Thanks to Mung Bean Noodles (because I can't eat wheat), I can make an easy dish. The sauce is the hardest part (the noodles only have to be left in boiling water until they are soft

Ingredients

  • 1 Head Cauliflower
  • 1 bunch scallions
  • sliced up as high as you can go
  • 4-7 cloves garlic
  • minced and left to sit for 30 minutes
  • mushrooms
  • mixed varieties (fresh
  • frozen or dehydrated)
  • chopped greens
  • 2-4 Tablespoons tahini (or to taste)
  • your choice of spices
  • any other vegetables
  • steamed or sauteed
  • almond "milk" as needed
  • 1 bag mung bean fetuccine noodles

Instructions

  1. Steam the cauliflower (and any other vegetables you are steaming -- I often use sweet potato to add some sweetness to the sauce) until very soft. Let cool. While the cauliflower is steaming, sautee the other veggies (adding the garlic only after 30 minutes have passed).
  2. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, adding almond "milk" as needed to get the mixture moving.
  3. When you remove the steamed veggies from their basket, take the steaming water and add enough water to cover the noodles -- boil the water, turn off the heat and add the noodles. Leave the noodles in the water until they are at your desired softness (I like a bit al dente). Strain the noodles and mix them with the sauce. Warm up if needed before serving.

No comments: