My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Compote: Eat Alone, As a Topping or Add Yogurt

ב"ה

Fruit Compote

this lens' photo
When I was younger, my Mom, in order to not throw out old fruit, would make compote. She did this by cutting up the old fruit, cutting away any really bad areas, and stewing the fruit.

As my diet changed and adjusted (as a vegan), I decided that I didn't need to wait for the fruit to be old to make compote. And, recently, when I finally found another sugar-free soy yogurt, I've been using the compote with the yogurt.


Compugraph Designs Spoonflower Site

For fruit themed fabric designs, click on the graphic to get Compugraph Designs' Spoonflower site.








Compote

Ingredients

  • 2 Apples diced
  • 2 Pears diced
  • 2 Each diced
  • Peaches
  • Nectarines
  • Plums
  • Assorted berries, fresh or frozen, 1-2 cups
  • Sweetener of your choice to taste (I use stevia)

Instructions

  1. Put all ingredients in a put with a good cover. Put the pot with the fruit on a low heat, with a pot simmering ring underneath. Let the fruit simmer, stirring about every 1/2 hour, until the fruits is all cooked through. Let cool and keep in a container in the refrigerator.
  2. This compote is good with soy yogurt and by itself.

More Fruit and More Flavor

Today, July 18, 2012, I tried an experiment. I made some yonanas with just 6 pieces (1/2) frozen bananas (3 whole bananas), and about 1/3 bag of frozen peaches to make Yonanas. I then took a large (mixing) spoonful of Compote, and put the compote on the Yonanas. It was delicious. It was like having a fruit sauce on soft-serve ice cream, but with no ingredients other than fruit (and a bit of stevia and spices). (In this batch of compote, which is more or less different every week, I used a piece of sugar free dried papaya, snipped into small pieces, an apple, a pear, three fresh apricots, a nectarine, 1/2 fresh mango, some stevia to taste, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -- and, when it cook a bit, I added a bag of frozen blueberries.)

Give it a try -- I was amazed at how delicious it was.

Yonanas Split

For those of us who love Banana Splits, this is a great (added) sugar free vegan substitute.







Ingredients

  • 1 Banana
  • Compote (see above recipe)
  • Yonanas (see the recipe on this blog)

Instructions

Split the banana and lay it on the bottom of a bowl. Take 3 scoops of Yonanas and lay them on top of the banana pieces. Spoon compote on top. Enjoy!


Fruit Themed Designs from Compugraph Designs on Zazzle

Here are four samples of products with fruit themes available at the Compugraph Designs Zazzle Store:

1 comment:

therapydoc said...

Great ideas! I throw fruit that's not going anywhere in the freezer and purée it with fruit juice (mango) and vanilla ice cream. Very addicting, these smoothies. Now I'll give compote a try.