My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, March 2, 2014

A Sugar-Free Vegan Ice Cream Like Dessert


I'm an Ice Cream Freak

this lens' photo
I'm an Ice Cream Freak, but when I became a vegan I had to find a substitute. There are many non-dairy ice cream substitutes on the market (since my Mom found out she was dairy-sensitive I've been buying them for her), but when my old diabetes diagnosis (pre-vegetarianism) reared its ugly head, I couldn't eat those either (they are all sweetened with some sort of sugar, whether it's honey or rice syrup or even agave nectar -- which is ok for most diabetics -- I can't eat them).

Enter Dr. Oz and his daily TV program. On one of his programs, he mentioned a product called "Yonanas", which makes an ice cream like dessert with frozen fruit, mainly bananas. I started freezing bananas that very day, knowing that I would one day buy this machine.

I eventually sat down and ordered the "Yonanas" from Amazon.


Strawberry and Bananas Frozen Dessert

For the most part, the fruit you use to make the dessert is sweet enough that no added sweetener is needed. But, if you find that you want it sweeter, it is probably best to add a powdered sweetener since syrups may be hard to stir when poured on the frozen dessert.

Peel the bananas before you freeze them (I use a freezer bag and I label it with the date) -- it's hard to peel them after they are frozen. It's also easier to break the bananas in half when you freeze them.

If you look in the frozen fruit section of your supermarket, you will probably notice lots of choices. Pre-frozen fruit makes this process easier.

Ingredients

  • 3 Frozen Bananas (6 half bananas)
  • 1 bag frozen strawberries

Instructions

  1. Put the ingredients in a bowl to all them to defrost a bit (I find that 5-10 minutes is best). Feed them through the "Yonanas" machine into a bowl, turning the bowl as the mixture fills in on one side. (It is best to alternate bananas and other fruit, beginning and ending with a banana piece).
  2. When all the fruit is processed, blend the mixture with a strong spoon. Serve immediately or freeze for future use (the texture is a bit grainier when it's frozen and you will probably need to let it sit to soften).

Make your own recipe


It is easy to come up with your own recipe. After making the strawberry version, I discovered that I have a mild strawberry allergy. So I started buying bags and bags of frozen peaches and now I use a bag of peaches to make the easy quick version.

I also buy frozen blueberries, though they don't process as smoothly as larger fruit. I also freeze my own nectarines, pears, apples, plums and mango (I prefer the taste of fresh mango frozen to the store bought frozen mango).

Ingredients

  • 3 frozen bananas (6 halves)
  • about 1-2 cups of your choice of other frozen fruit

Instructions

Let the fruit sit and defrost for 5-10 minutes. Process using the "Yonanas" machine, into a bowl, turning the bowl as needed. Blend the mixture with a strong spoon. Serve immediately or freeze for later.


Compugraph Designs' Shop on Spoonflower

Spoonflower features custom designed fabric. Click on the picture to see Compugraph Designs' Spoonflower fabric shop.

Fruit Themed Products from Compugraph Designs on Zazzle

Compugraph Designs' Zazzle store has many products that we put fruit themed designs on. Click on the picture for some of those products.

More Fruit and More Flavor

Today, July 18, 2012, I tried an experiment. I made some yonanas with just 6 pieces (1/2) frozen bananas (3 whole bananas), and about 1/3 bag of frozen peaches to make Yonanas. I then took a large (mixing) spoonful of Compote, and put the compote on the Yonanas. It was delicious. It was like having a fruit sauce on soft-serve ice cream, but with no ingredients other than fruit (and a bit of stevia and spices). (In this batch of compote, which is more or less different every week, I used a piece of sugar free dried papaya, snipped into small pieces, an apple, a pear, three fresh apricots, a nectarine, 1/2 fresh mango, some stevia to taste, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon -- and, when it cook a bit, I added a bag of frozen blueberries.)

Give it a try -- I was amazed at how delicious it was.



Picture of the Fruit I put into the Yonanas

Someone, in the comment section, asked for a picture of what the Yonanas vegan banana dessert looks like, so I have two pictures here that I took when I made some to put away for Shabbat (the Sabbath). The first picture is the frozen fruit I put in (bananas -- which I freeze myself, peaches, cherries and cranberries -- which I buy already frozen, and some apricots, which I freeze myself). The second picture is what came out after processing all that fruit and spoon blending it a bit.


Picture of the Dessert that came out of the Yonanas after Processing



Fruit Themed Designs from Compugraph Designs on Zazzle
Here are four samples of products with fruit themes available at the Compugraph Designs Zazzle Store:


No comments: