My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, December 18, 2011

That's a Wrap, Boys.....

ב"ה

Since Thanksgiving, I've been doing a lot of experimenting. One of my new "dishes" is a Beta-gnocchi roulade with cauliflower and veggie filling. I used the gnocchi dough from my previous post, added more sprouted grain flour to make a thicker dough (one that I can roll out or press out flat). I then take the dough, press it out flat on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, spread with cauliflower sauce from a previous recipe, then top it with sauteed veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, etc.). I then roll this up as well as possible (well, I haven't been able to really roll it up, so much as fold over the sides). I then bake it in the oven at 245 degrees until it is baked through, then I spray it with olive oil (I use a pump spray bottle) and bake until browned.

When I serve this (sliced and laid on its side) I top the pieces with the cauliflower sauce.

I also created two new desserts -- fruit crisp and dessert gnocchi. For the crisp, I used the ginger-bread-cookie recipe from a previous blog entry, laid it out on the bottom of a foil and parchment lined square pan (I use more parchment and another pan to press the dough into an even layer, spread as smoothly as possible). I bake the crust for about 2-2 1/2 hours at 245 degrees -- while this is baking, I mix together one sliced apple, one sliced pear, 1/4-1/2 cup frozen blueberries, a handful of dried, apple-juice-sweetened cranberries and about 1/2 bag frozen sliced peaches (you can cut the sliced fruit in half if you like) in a bowl with spices (cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, etc. to taste) and a bit of stevia. When the crust is baked, I take the fruit, spread it on top of the crust, and bake until the fruit is soft and baked through. I keep it in the refrigerator so it doesn't spoil.

The dessert gnocchi, I make with one jar organic baby food sweet potatoes (or two small steamed sweet potatoes peeled, if desired, and mashed). I add stevia to taste and about 1/4 cup almond flour and enough sorghum flour to make a stiff dough. I add 1/4 cup cacao nibs and then cook them like the gnocchi. When they are finished boiling and have been removed with a slotted spoon, I lay them on a parchment-foil lined cookie sheet, spray with olive oil, and bake at about 350 degrees until browned (then I flip them over, spray again and bake again).

These taste pretty good just like this, but..... If you take 100% cocoa unsweetened chocolate, melt in a double-boiler, add stevia to taste (when melted). Then poke the gnocchi balls with a toothpick and dip in the chocolate, using a small spoon to get the chocolate all over the balls, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. To whatever chocolate is left over, add ground or chopped nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, etc.), mix through and drop in small spoonfuls onto the parchment. When all the chocolate and chocolate covered gnocchi are on the parchment, take the pan and put it in the refrigerator to harden. When it's all hardened, take the pieces (breaking apart if they ran together) and put them in a container in the refrigerator for keeping.

No comments: