My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Gnocchi, Gnocchi, a Thousand Times Gnocchi......

ב"ה

I do the grocery shopping in my household (my Mom occasionally goes to one of the local farmer's markets, but I do most of the shopping). So I am exposed to so many foods that I can't buy. Lately, I've been obsessed with gnocchi.

When I'm going to sleep, I have a tendency to think about new recipes I want to try, so the idea of making gnocchi was tossing over and over in my brain. I had wanted to use pumpkin puree, but the canned pumpkin puree I've used in the past hasn't been in the stores for a while [noto bene: I want to try making some pumpkin desserts for Thanksgiving so, after my best friend told me an easy way to deal with fresh pumpkins, I picked up a handful (that's 4) small pumpkins at the local organic food co-op. I hope to be able to report some successes with that sometime in the next few days.] so I decided to use baby food (I like to keep small jars of organic baby food in my pantry/closet for just this reason). I took one jar of sweet potatoes and one jar of winter squash and added some spices (I like the curry spices -- I added turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika and ginger) and sprouted grain wheat flour (I started with 1/2 cup, then added more by tablespoon until it got to a firm consistency -- I ended up with about 3/4 of a cup). When the dough was smooth, I put up some filtered water to boil.

I then took the dough and took small amounts (that I then shaped into a ball, more or less) and dropped up to six at a time into water with a rolling boil. After making sure it didn't stick to the bottom of the pot (that usually only happens when the water isn't boiling vigorously enough), I wait until the little orange balls float to the top. Then I set the timer for one minute and let them boil another minute.

After the timer buzzes, take the dough-balls out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Do this until you have created dough-balls with all the dough.

You can put these in the refrigerator or the freezer or serve them. I put my cauliflower sauce on it and it was delicious. If you have a favorite sauce, try that.

No comments: