My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sweet and Sour Sauce

ב"ה

I've been trying to come up with sauces to add some flavor to my vegetables. I often get ideas by seeing something on TV -- a commercial or Dr. Oz or the like.

So I decided to try to create a sweet and sour sauce so I'd feel like I was eating Chinese take-out food. I don't eat rice, so instead of rice I sauteed riced cauliflower in a bit of olive oil with a bit of my spice mix (which pretty much includes all the spices I like like turmeric, coriander, chili powder, cinnamon, ginger, chipotile pepper... so many more) and just sauteed it on a low flame.

Today's veggies (which aren't the same every day, though there are a few "stars" like cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and mushrooms) were re-hydrated dehydrated mushrooms, a bit of roasted shallot and scallion (two shallots and one cut up scallion) roasted about 10-15 minutes in a 415 degree oven. (I sprayed a bit of olive oil on them), 1 1/2 10 ounce bags of fresh organic cauliflower (easier than working on the cauliflower head myself), some chopped red cabbage, a couple of handfuls of Brussels sprouts (cut in half lengthwise). What can I say? I like cruciferous vegetables.

In any case, you can use whatever vegetables you like. The important part is the sauce.

In order to make this sauce, I need to tell you what I drink. I don't like water, at least in large quantities, so I make herbal tea -- I use Celestial Seasonings in several flavors. The tea I make that I use for the Sweet and Sour Sauce is a combination of "Sangria Zinger" and "Watermelon Lime" -- I use two bags of each in a container that holds about a gallon of water and I add filtered water and 1/2 teaspoon of powdered stevia. (I drink this anyway, so I don't make it especially for the sauce).

Anyway, I take about 1 1/2 cups of this (once it's steeped long enough -- I use cold filtered water) and put it in my blender, add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar another 1/4 teaspoon stevia, 1/4 teaspoon of my spice mix (you can use whatever spices you want) and 1 teaspoon of konjac (or a starch of your choosing, like potato starch or corn starch). I whir it around in my blender and then add it to the mostly sauteed through vegetables (I saute them in olive oil with my spice mixture and a pinch of "pink" salt) and heat until the sauce begins to thicken. Let cool a bit and serve (on top of riced cauliflower) and eat.

No comments: