My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

High Protein Vegan Cake

ב"ה

I was energetic in the kitchen yesterday and decided to make a cake with pea protein. I often make sweets with stevia and pea protein (I don't like to have smoothies/vegan shakes every day and even if I wanted to, I can't on Shabbat and Jewish Holidays). Yesterday, I even did a spread sheet of the nutritional breakdown of the base recipe.

This is the recipe for a base cake -- you can add all sorts of things for the flavor -- vanilla (the cake I made yesterday was vanilla spice -- I put in 1 teaspoon of powder vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon each ground coriander and ground cloves and 1 teaspoon -- equal to about 4 cups of sugar in sweetness -- powdered stevia [when it comes to stevia, different types sweeten differently, so my advice is to get used to the sweetness of the stevia you use and adjust to taste]), you can try cacao powder for chocolate (with or without cacao nibs to simulate chocolate chips), lemon (using lemon juice and/or grated lemon rind/zest), fruit in general (frozen blueberries work nicely), nuts (pecans and walnuts are probably best, almond would probably work also), etc.

Cake Base recipe:

1/4 ground fax seeds (whirred in the food processor with 1 cup filtered water) = "flax eggs"
2 cups Unflavored Unsweetened pea protein powder
1 cup each Almond and Hazelnut meal/flour (or any combination of nut meals to equal 2 cups)
2 Tablespoons Cashew (or other nut) butter
2-3 cups Cashew (or other non-dairy) "milk"
Flavor ingredients (including Stevia) -- see above

Add the Cashew butter to the "flax eggs" and whir until blended. Put the protein powder and nut flours in a bowl, add the flavor ingredients, "flax egg"/nut butter mixture and Cashew "milk" and mix (with a mixer or a spoon) until all ingredients are blended in and the batter is "cake batter" consistency. Put it in an 8" square pan (I line mine with parchment paper so it comes out easily) and bake for about an hour at 350 degrees (check at 45 minutes and then every few minutes after that).

Table of nutritional information:

Serv sizeCaloriesFat gramsSat Fat gramsCarbsProtein
Entire Cake24851501170222
1/16 Cake155.31259.3750.68754.37513.875
1/8 Cake310.62518.751.3758.7527.75

I try to get around 30 grams of protein per meal, if possible, so I like the 1/8th of the cake -- I put on "icing" -- which I made from cashew butter, stevia and cashew "milk" and a bit of vanilla (1/4 teaspoon), and cinnamon (also 1/4 teaspoon) -- about 1/3-1/2 jar of cashew butter and "milk" until I get the consistency I want. (I whir it up in the food processor -- my food processor has a place on the cover where I can add liquids without stopping and opening the cup)

I'd love to hear from anyone who tries this how the base recipe works with different flavor additions.

No comments: