My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Healthy Vegan Chocolate Cake

ב"ה

I love chocolate. But it's hard for me to find chocolate things without sugar (or artificial sweetener). And my doc has been encouraging me to eat more protein. So I came up with this:

Put dry ingredients in a bowl:

1 cup soy flour
1 1/2 cups hazelnut of almond flour
1-3 Tablespoons of cacao powder (to taste)
1/2 cup cacao nibs (if you want a "chocolate chip" sort of cake)
stevia equivalent to 1 1/2 cups sugar (my powder takes 3/8 of a teaspoon for this)
2 teaspoons maca powder (optional, but I like the way it plays with the chocolate flavor)
2 teaspoons chopped nuts (I use a mix of almonds, walnuts, pecans and cashews) (optional)

Then add:

2-3 Tablespoons of nut butter
Almond milk (start with 1 cup and add more as needed to blend everything together)

Put this all into an 8 inch square pan (I line mine with first aluminum foil then parchment paper) and bake about 45-60 minutes, until it's baked through, at 350 degrees.

For the icing -- put:

2-3 Tablespoons of nut butter
Almond milk (start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed to blend everything together)
1-3 Tablespoons of cacao powder (to taste)
stevia equivalent to 1 cup sugar (my powder takes 1/4 of a teaspoon for this)

into a food processor and whirr around until blended. Taste and add more of the above ingredients as needed.

The icing does best if you smooth it on the hot cake (it'll melt a bit, but when you refrigerate the cake, the icing will get to a better consistency.



No comments: