My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Kugel

ב"ה

On one of my lists we were talking about food -- and the subject of kugel came up and I decided to try one. Keeping with the same rules (ketogenic vegan) I came up with a pretty good tasting kugel.

I took three packages of "Miracle Noodles" Ziti flavor, put them in a strainer and rinsed with filtered water. In a bowl, I blended together 1/4 cup of unsweetened non-dairy yogurt and one container of non-dairy cream cheese (I use Kite Hill for both), 1 teaspoon ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 1/4 to 3/8 teaspoon stevia. Once these things were blended together, I added 2 Tablespoons of ground chia and blended that and added the strained ziti. Then I added 1/2 cup of walnuts (I didn't chop them) and 1/2 bag frozen organic blueberries.

I put it into two loaf pans (one I totally finished tonight) and I baked it at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour (but I suggest you check it after 20 minutes). I put the other loaf pan in the refrigerator for Shabbat (which is tomorrow night). It was delicious (to me :-) )

Update Friday: I also decided to make a cauliflower kugel (instead of a potato kugel). I took two bags of organic pre-washed pre-cut organic Whole Foods (365) cauliflower and drizzled liquid coconut oil (high in medium chain triglycerides) and sprayed a bit of olive oil (organic on both) on the cauliflower (while it's sitting on a parchment lined cookie sheet) and sprinkle it with my spice mix (use one you like) and a bit of pink salt and roasted at 425 degrees about 25 minutes (longer than usual because I wanted the roasted taste to be strong). In the meantime, I rehydrated a bag of dehydrated shiitake mushrooms (I broke them into smaller pieces before I added the boiling water) then I sauteed (with coconut and olive oil) a small piece of bok choy, diced; 1/2 a bag of organic Brussels sprouts (cut in half, then in half again, and sliced); a zucchini cut into pieces; and the mushrooms. When the cauliflower was roasted and cooled a bit, I ran it through the food processor -- it's amazing how little it looked in the mixing bowl. I did the same with the veggies once they were cooked through and soft, mixed the results with the cauliflower and added 2 Tablespoons ground chia seeds. I took the mixture and put  it into a couple of loaf pans and baked at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. I didn't bake it totally since I would need to warm it up for Shabbat.

BTW, this came out delicious too.

No comments: