My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Cauliflower "Tots"

ב"ה

I was roaming around the internet the other day (as I often do) and I came across a recipe for Broccoli Tater Tots. Unfortunately, after printing it off, I lost the link and can't find it right now, so I can't link over to the original.

The recipe called for 4 cups of broccoli florets but it's so hard to get broccoli cooked just right. So I decided to try this with Trader Joe's  Organic Rainbow Cauliflower (Frozen). I took one package of the cauliflower (I let it sit for a while to soften up) and processed it through my food processor (it took two "rounds" -- it ended up the consistency of cauliflower-rice) and put it in a bowl. I added a teaspoon of my spice mix (you can add your own spices) and 1/8 of a teaspoon pink salt (the recipe called for 1/2 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder and 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper) then I added 1/4 cup of ground chia and added a cup of filtered water -- this, of course, if my egg replacement (the recipe calls for 2 large eggs lightly beaten). I added 2/3 cup of nutritional yeast (instead of the 2/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese called for in the recipe) and 1/4 cup of food processor chopped walnuts to replace the 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs and I mixed everything together well. I pre-heated the oven to 400 degrees and let the mixture sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Then I shaped 32 little "tot" sized "yummies" and placed them onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I sprayed them all with a propellant free organic olive oil spray and popped them into the over for 15 minutes -- I then flipped them all (they were a bit brown on the bottom), resprayed them and baked them for 10 minutes longer.

They came out delicious. These would actually be good for people who want to get a lot of veggies in their diet, who are eating low fat (most of the fat is in the 1/4 cup of walnuts) and for people on a ketogenic diet. And, of course, for us die-hard vegans 😃

No comments: