My Cafe Press Store

Make Custom Gifts at CafePress

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Fake Chicken and Pasta

B"H

I guess you all probably noticed that I started this blog over a year ago but didn't quite know what to do with it. But tonight I threw some food together and made an interesting meal and I thought this blog would be a great place to share this sort of quickie recipe (it would also be a good place for me to write these sorts of recipes up so I wouldn't forget them either!)

When I was in Israel recently, I found some fake chicken which I really liked. I took some home with me and have been using it little by little. If you live in Israel, it's called "k'mo ohf" (as in "like chicken) -- it's dehydrated, soy and, IMHO, delicious. I think I bought it at the Anise in the Azrieli Mall in Modiin. (I didn't find it at the Anise I ran across in Jerusalem). I think there might be a product like this in the US (and probably in other countries). This is a link to their site -- even if you don't read Hebrew, there are pictures so you can get an idea of what it looks like.

So, I took 25 grams (this came out to about a heaping 1/4 cup) of the fake chicken, boiled it up to get soft (about 10-15 minutes). While I was waiting for this, I sliced up a red onion, sprayed a frying pan (using a pump sprayer) with olive/canola oil (it had both in it) and started sauteing the onion on a small flame. When the "meat" was ready (soft and drained), I added it plus a couple of handfuls of frozen shiitake mushrooms, frozen chopped spinach, and frozen mango. I added 1/4 teaspoon of each of these spices: turmeric (which I put in almost everything), cumin, coriander, ginger (I usually use ginger root, but I thought the powder would work for this), sweet paprika, garam masala, chili powder and stevia (or to taste -- you can use whatever sweetener you use -- honey, agave nectar, sucralose, etc. for a sweet taste). I also added a pinch each of cardamon and fenugreek and a couple of "squirts" of Spicy Brown Mustard (this is my favorite kind of mustard).

While this was cooking, I had boiled up some water and added 25 grams of black bean pasta (I guess you can use the pasta of your choice). When the pasta was done, I drained it and added it to the pan. I mixed it all up and, voila!

I'm sure you can substitute your own favorite spices, I just happen to like curry spices. If you make this, I'd love to hear about your experience -- did you like it? Were there any problems making it or finding the fake chicken? By the way, as I made it, this dish had about 24 grams of protein.


Compugraph Designs web site

Check out my other blogs:

Israel and it's Place in the World
Jewish Singles
Strong Jewish Women

Check out my squidoo lenses (articles):

Star Trek Quiz
Hanukka Gifts Under $25
Jewish Wedding Customs
Going to a Wedding Single

Strong Biblical Women
Strong Biblical Women 2
Strong Biblical Women Part 3
Strong Biblical Women 4: Ruth and Naomi
Strong Biblical Women 5: Tamar -- Mother of Kings
Strong Biblical Women 6: Yocheved -- Mother of Moshe (Moses)
Strong Biblical Women 7: Miriam
Why Be Vegetarian
Vegetarianism: Getting Started 1
Vegetarianism: Getting Started 2
Rosh Hashana
Quick Vegan Cooking
Creating new recipes from old
Hanuka
About the Jewish Calendar
Witches and Morality
Presidential Trivia Quiz
Christmas and the Jewish Single
Math Hints 1 -- Adding Fractions
Presidents1: George Washington
Passover: Holiday of Freedom
John and John Quincy Adams
Television Trivia Quiz
Jewish Perspective of G-d
Purim, Esther et al
Being an internet small business owner
Why I'm a Red Sox fan
Pythagorean Theorem
My Blogs
Top 10 Presidents
Bottom 10 Presidents
How Can We Appeal to G-d for Forgiveness?
Math Tips 2
Searching for a Fashion Partner
Math Hints 3
One Actor, Two Shows (TV Quiz)
Presidential Tidbits
Why Should anyone hire Me?
Eat a Healthy Breakfast
My experience on Jeopardy
Project:Runway and how it got me excited about designing again
Who's Buried in Grant's Tomb?
My Vocational Experiences
Check out my Stress Release Mix list

No comments: